Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ubuntu

I decided to repartition my hard drive last night and this morning I installed Ubuntu Linux on the new partitions. I have used Linux in various forms over the years (Red Hat, LinuxPPC on a Mac, Debian) and I like the OS. Unfortunately I cannot get my latest peripherals to work under Linux. My printer/scanner is a Lexmark and they offer little to no support for Linux on their website. I have also not been able to find much on this particular model (x3350) on the internet. It is sad that this would be the only reason for me to continue using Windows XP (which is a drag allot of the time).
Besides this single issue, Ubuntu booted up fine and I was able to get my wireless card to work with very little effort. Web pages came up fast and clean, blowing away Windozzzzzz.... I still wonder if I can get our cell phones to connect though. My wife and have a Motorola RAZR V3 and a Sony Ericcson w300i respectively, both of which connect with USB cables and have drivers in Windows.
If anyone has any info on this, throw me a line. I am eager to migrate to Linux but I cannot afford all new peripherals and don't want to lose the niceties of being able to load my cell phone pics and music directly to my pc.
Anyways, more if I find it...

No comments: